Whoever thinks of going to bed before twelve o’clock is a scoundrel.
— Samuel Johnson
I was tagged on Facebook to list ten books that have made an impression on me. These are the ones I came up with. I couldn’t split the Ellroy books so there are thirteen altogether.
- As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee
- V by Thomas Pynchon
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- A Disaffection by James Kelman
- The L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy (4 books)
- Just Kids by Patti Smith
- United States: Essays 1952-1992 by Gore Vidal
- The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- Where I’m Calling From: Selected Stories by Raymond Carver
- Species of Spaces and Other Pieces by Georges Perec
The first part of Obsolescense from Abel Ganz’s fabulous self-titled new album. Best watched in HD and full-screen.
I’m not very enthusiastic about these awards but I vote because the music gets a bit of promotion. This is how I voted:
- Album Of The Year – The Unravelling by Knifeworld.
- Limelight Award – It had to be Thieves Kitchen due to the fact that I’m not familiar with the other bands in the list.
- Breakthrough – It has to be Matt Stevens this year.
- Live Event – Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited. Another default choice. At least the list is relevant to the whole country this year.
- Anthem – The only song that qualifies as anthemic here is Make Some Noise by Big Big Train.
- Band/Artist Of The Year – I voted for Fish for his tenacity and for releasing a great album under difficult conditions.
- The Storm Thorgerson Grand Design Award – Fish gets my vote again for his A Feast Of Consequences set.
A track from my current favourite album. A review may follow.