But Google in my experience knows that there are ambiguities, moral doubts, around some of what they do, and at least they try to think about it. Facebook just doesn’t care. When you’re in a room with them you can tell. They’re’ – he took a moment to find the right word – ‘scuzzy’.
I was tagged on Facebook to list ten books that have made an impression on me. These are the ones I came up with. I couldn’t split the Ellroy books so there are thirteen altogether.
- As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee
- V by Thomas Pynchon
- Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
- A Disaffection by James Kelman
- The L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy (4 books)
- Just Kids by Patti Smith
- United States: Essays 1952-1992 by Gore Vidal
- The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
- Where I’m Calling From: Selected Stories by Raymond Carver
- Species of Spaces and Other Pieces by Georges Perec